Friday 5 August 2011

More creativity!

I know its late again, but here is my weekly post! :)  I'll get used to it and post every Wednesday at some point.  I think I might have to put a reminder in my phone or something!

This week I have made quite a few more necklaces, a handful of bracelets and quite a few earrings.  Soon I will need to take proper photos of these for my ETSY store - I hope to get those done either this weekend or at the beginning of next week.  I am starting to run out of supplies too, like specific headpins for example.  I tried using longer headpins for a couple more pairs of earrings, but I discovered that the longer the headpin, the wider the wire, and they don't thread through my freshwater pearls!!  They will have to wait.  I suppose I could try and undo a couple of the other pairs and re-do them with the other headpins....I'll see about that next week!


Also, I managed to cancel my order from www.moo.com just in time - because after the Business Day class last week, we were advised not to put our postal address on business cards.  I managed to get a full refund, and they just told me I will have to start from scratch to re-order.  They are such a good company!  I know I created stuff like a mad woman for a while JUST to get the photos for the business cards, but now it's not so much of a big deal and when I take the photos again I can take a little more time.  Last time my photos on white busts came out dark, possibly because I did those at the end of the day.  Some of my photos came out really well, so I will be going through all the photos I took last time and re-taking others next time, along with the new jewellery I have created.

Another thing I have to do this weekend or next week, is sort out a website.  That's another thing I want to get sorted out before I create the business cards because I want to put either the website address or my facebook page address on the card.  I investigated using CoffeeCup to create my own website, but it turned out that for me, I think it's far too much hassle and expense - paying for a web domain AND the amount of space you can fill online.  So, I went to www.wix.com and I thought it looked pretty good - then I discovered a couple more people who I know have also used this website to create their own websites for free!

I chose a few templates and played around with them, and I have decided that I think this is the way to go for me.  I only need a portfolio website to show off my stuff, with links to my ETSY store, I don't want another shop as well as ETSY, and if people are genuinely interested, they will go to ETSY and check out my stuff.  It means sacrificing the opportunity to have a website which is www.MY STORE NAME.com but with wix.com, I can upgrade for a fee to buy the domain.  Which I might do eventually, I'll just have to see how it goes.  All I know that it's not actually worth me paying £40 - £80 a year to have my own website when I don't even know how much money I will be taking!

Anyhoo, once I have all that sorted out I think I might re-visit my marketing plan and tidy it up somewhat, and perhaps go to the Business Plan - which currently doesn't have a great deal in it at the moment.  It shouldn't take me too long to sort those out because I have the basics there and I just need to update all the complicated and boring stuff! :)

Anyway, I have written far too much already, so....I shall see you next week and in the meantime, Happy Crafting everyone! :)

Siobhan x

No comments: