Monday 20 February 2012

Regular posting!!

Ok.  I know I haven't posted YET AGAIN for a long time......!

No excuses this time though.  Now I have put a memo in my computer which tells me to blog about something I have created or something related to crafting etc at least once a week.  Think of it as a late New Year's resolution...... ...... :)

Ok, so first off I will star with some crochet.  These two flower brooches were made as gifts for Christmas to a couple of friends.  I don't think I have blogged about these, and although it wasn't yesterday when I made them, they are handmade by myself, which is what this blog is all about.

 Both these flower brooches were crocheted using a simple flower pattern and 3 colours of wool which I had at the time.  Crocheting little flowers like this are really useful for using up leftover bits of wool!

It's great if you have lots of colours, because you can play around with whatever you like!


Brooch pins are very easy to come by in craft stores, and quite cheap too - they don't need to be sterling silver especially as there will be very little in the way of skin - metal contact on brooches like this, AND I always like to get the pins which have "safety clasps" whatt you have to twirl the end around to move the pin out.

They are very easy to attach at the back of the flower.  You just need to take your time when positioning them at the back so you can't see the metal from the front, and PLEASE be careful with the pin because it is sharp and you have to have the pin OPEN when you attach it to the back of the flower.

It's very easy to thread the wool through the holes in the back of the pin and secure it tightly although a drawback of this is that I use a big needle which is made especially for sewing wool, and I don't know about what's in the stores at the moment, but mine (which used to be my Mum's) does not fit through the holes so I have to thread them through by hand.  Yes it's a little time consuming, but its definitely worth the effort!  I have given away a few of these flower brooches recently, and everyone is always very pleased with them (YEY!) :)

Sometimes I like to put a little bead in the centre - I may have posted a photo of one of those before but I'm not sure..!  Anyway, these can be worn on coats, jeans, bags, or even pinned to a scarf at the end or by the neck.  There are so many flowers you can knit and crochet and turn into pins / brooches, or whatever other creative use you can find for them.  There is a book I have which I will strongly recommend and talk about in my next blog - I promise! :)

Happy Crafting! :) x

No comments: